Monday 5 August 2013

Day 2.

So, little to do today - I really need to not do anything to the bees for a few days to let them settle in, however I did take off the roof to check the feeder. - The feeder is a 4 pint syrup feeder filled with 1:1 weight for weight water / sugar mix with a dash of chamomile tea mixed in.  The bees however don't seem to be taking it, but I'm unsure why. - It's possible they've not found it yet, so I put a little of the syrup on the inside of the feeder - if they like it, they should be able to follow the smell / syrup up into the feeder itself. - It's a bit of a labyrinth for them, so maybe they just need a little help. - In the nuc, their feed was off to one side and maybe this is what they'd got used to.  They certainly had enough stores in the nuc, so maybe they are using that, or perhaps they are already brining in enough nectar - I just don't know.

Good news is that there seem to be plenty of bees flying and they are brining in some very light coloured pollen. -  Don't know where this is from, though there is a large fallow field just across the road with many daisies, and also bramble in flower in a waste patch nearby. - Given so many are flying, and they are very busy, I take this to be a good sign they are reasonably happy.

One thing I'm learning is that bees are pretty difficult to photograph - they are small, and they move very quickly - I was trying to catch some with pollen with limited success.

The pollen you see here looking like a lump of butter on the back legs of this bee was rather darker than some which was being brought in.


The bee on the left below had some very 'grubby' looking pollen.  The bee on the right I believe was 'fanning' - she had her backside in the air and was wafting her wings very quickly.  I believe they do this to put out the scent / pheromone, but whether her doing this was something significant, I don't know.


Anyway - things look good for the moment.  Just wish the weather could warm up a little.

20:00 - Breaking news.  Just had a quick glimpse at the feeder. - Good news is that there were now several bees using it, so it looks like they just needed a little encouragement to find it - excellent.  That should help them build up, and I'm much happier to have seen them feeding given the weather is somewhat changeable, and they have had a stressful few days. - I can happily leave them in peace now.

No comments:

Post a Comment